Sunday, February 8, 2015

“The Journey Is The Destination.”

The early years of one's life moulds a person's character. Your family environment, schools , close circle of friends all determine the formation of your personality, behaviour and mannerisms.


My involvement in the family's business at an early age,helped me in to understand myself. My interests and leanings better. I was always driven towards strategy based games which needed an understanding of people rather than just using physical strengths. This led to me choosing Chess as my extracurricular activity in school. I found I had a natural flair for it and soon played in competitions.


Since my father had been a football player, he stressed up us taking up at least one sport so We could be physically active and disciplined throughout our life. Badminton was my sport of choice, the reason I enjoyed it so much was that my elder sister was an excellent player and had very lovingly been teaching me to play. I find this game also very intelligent as one could predict and learn the behavior of a person, his endurance and mindset. Ultimately I competed in school badminton championships as well.


Being born in a Kshatriya Rajput warrior clan, my family's inclination for self defense had always been strong. I was motivated to learn Karate but after attaining an orange belt my interest waned. All that physical labor was taking its toll. I was looking for something more relaxing. My father's fascination with guns got me inclined towards Rifle Shooting. We had a shooting range in our farm house where I had a great time practicing on the weekends.


My teachers had encouraged me to participate in various activities during my school and college days such as social debates, GK quizzes ,essay writing competitions etc. I took up as many as I could, and have many testimonials for the same.


 I made some amazing friends in college who shared similar passions in driving, travel, adventure sports, etc., and soon we formed a tight knit group and started taking small trips in nearby cities with equal parts driving and trekking. We have covered most of Northern India ,especially the states of J&K and HP. On a memorable trip on college break , we drove to the Indian borders with China and Pakistan. Driving my 4x4 in one of the highest motor-able pass in world is an experience I will never forget. We spent weeks in the most sensitive parts of the country, and took amazingly thrilling, oftentimes treacherous treks to various passes, nearby lakes and to centuries old monasteries nestled in the heart of the picturesque mountains.


My extensive travels to countries like  UK, Spain, South Korea, South Africa, Qatar, Switzerland, Nepal, Macau, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France,  Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Hong Kong, UAE, etc with family and friends has piqued my interest in learning about different cultures. I read, write and speak 2 languages fluently (English & Hindi) and learning a 3rd(French).


I have also participated in many management, development and training programs organized by Mahindra, Hero Honda and other companies & Institutes. Recently I have been selected for a Management transformation program at IIM, Bangalore (Indian Institute Of Management). Which will be held in 2nd week of February, 2015.


Since I had a keen interest in trekking since my college days, last year I took up the challenge to trek  up to the Mt. Everest Base Camp. It was a  rigorous 15 day long  trip from Lukla, Nepal. When a few of my fellow Trekkers, who had good physical strength and training couldn't complete the trek and dropped out, I lost heart. In the absence of the rigorous training compared to them I was dreading the time when my body would give up and to halt my journey. But as it had to be, I successfully completed the trek in time with surprising ease, realising the tremendous importance of mental & psychological strength in surpassing physical barriers. This was a huge lesson learnt that sometimes the "journey is the destination" and all we need to do is to believe in our self.


We can do just about everything we want in life if we are determined and devoted and "Never Give Up”. 



No comments:

Post a Comment